Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Les Miserables


                Think of the last musical you went and saw. Was it a school play? Or maybe a Broadway show? I went to one last night and it was absolutely amazing. The musical wasn’t live, however, but a movie instead. It’s been a pretty popular movie lately- I would know, I work at a movie theatre.

                The movie is Les Miserables, and I personally thought it was amazing. The singing was flawless- and the fact that some of the actors were able to cry while they sang absolutely amazed me. The casting was also done to perfection- every actor and actress portrayed their character extremely well. I was unsure whether or not I would truly like the movie, but I absolutely loved it, and from what I’ve heard everyone else has too.

                The songs in this movie get stuck in your head so easily. I literally went home after watching the movie, got on YouTube, and listened to the songs on repeat. Eventually I got bored of waiting through commercials just to listen to songs I’d practically memorized, so I made my way to Pandora and started listening to the Les Miserables station. My life has been changed forever.

                The only thing I didn’t like was how long the movie was; the entire movie was sung, with maybe five words actually spoken (that is a rough estimate, by the way; I never actually counted how many words went un-sung). Two and a half hours of singing seems to drag after a while. The solos were really well done- they just lasted six or seven endless minutes rather than just a few.

                Les Miserables is absolutely amazing. It will take you on a rollercoaster of emotions, from laughter to tears, and I highly recommend it for everyone. There is a little something in Les Mis for everyone to connect with; even those that don’t believe there is. Especially the ones that don’t believe.

 

(322 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment