Thursday, January 10, 2013

Confidence is Key


                As we’re coming up on the halfway mark in the school year, life is starting to get busy. Teachers begin cramming assignments into the schedule to have done before midterms, students begin to shift from that “I hate school, this is stupid and pointless” attitude to a more excited and motivated attitude. But for me, life is even busier than ever.

                With speech competitions right around the corner, lines are being memorized to perfection, choreography is being rehearsed to the point where it is forever etched into your brain, costumes are being pulled together last minute, and coaches are cracking down on the seriousness of competitive acting.

                Between school, AP classes, work, and speech rehearsals, my life is a whirlwind of boring teachers, uninteresting homework, pushy bosses, colorful makeup, and sore muscles. I don’t know what it is about speech, but the choreography we perform never fails to make me sore. I mean really, this year we are puppets. How hard do you think it is to act like a puppet? Harder than you think my friends. Much, much harder than you think.

                I guess in the long run speech and homework and work has built my character up to what it is today. Without homework, I would probably be a thousand pounds from eating out of sheer boredom and would probably be addicted to the world wide web (more so than I am now). Without work, I wouldn’t be the movie lover that I am today (I work in a movie theatre, in case you were wondering. And I actually would still be a movie lover even if I didn’t work there- but this way I get to see movies every single weekend). Without speech, I wouldn’t be confident to stand up in front of the class and read something I wrote, and I wouldn’t be as independent and confident in myself as I am today (this is very true- I used to be super shy, but now I’m kind of a big deal).

                I think that’s one of the things I love most about this time of year though- the crazy, hectic, busyness of everything I’m involved in. As much as I hate getting up for school in the morning, I get to see my friends every day. As much as I wish I didn’t have to have a job, I wouldn’t quit for the world. As much as I wish I could memorize my script with my choreography on the first try, I will never be frustrated enough to give up. This time of year is what I live for, and I am glad that I get to be a part of everything I’m involved in.

 

(450 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment