Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Coke vs. Pepsi


                We have all been down that road before, the one where our brains are forced to make a very important decision. The road I happen to be talking about is a road not only challenged by the brain, but more importantly by our taste buds. I know there are many people out there who could tell you their opinion on ketchup vs. mustard, stripes vs. polka dots, or dogs vs. cats. (The correct answers would be: ketchup, polka dots, and dogs). But no disagreement has been more prominent than that of Coke vs. Pepsi.

                From the looks of both soft drinks, they look identical. Pour each into an identical glass and compare; both are dark brown, fizzy soft drinks. So what? They look the same, so they should taste the same- right? Wrong. That’s why there’s a “rivalry” between the companies: they both think they are better than the other.

                To me, Coke is the better option. Hands down, my preference is Coke. I think Pepsi has some sort of weird chemically taste that doesn’t taste quite right to me. Maybe that’s just me being weird, but I’m not a big Pepsi fan.

                I did some research to find out how this carbonated rivalry began. Turns out this whole rivalry began in 1886 when Coca-Cola was introduced. Years later Pepsi-Cola came about, and that ladies and gentlemen is where Coke vs. Pepsi began. From the beginning until 1979, Coke had been America’s favorite soft drink. Pepsi took the lead in soft drink sales, but it didn’t last long. Seventeen short years later, America was polled once again, and soft drink sales were analyzed: Coca-Cola was back to the top.

                Personally I think feuds like this are silly. It’s just a preference for goodness sake. Everyone should be able to make their own opinions, regardless of what others tell them. If you like Pepsi better, good for you! We just aren’t agreeing on that one simple little thing. And to be quite frank, I think this whole “rivalry” is dumb. It’s just a little competition in local grocery stores everywhere. Oh, and just because I prefer Coke over Pepsi doesn’t mean Coke is my favorite soft drink; I’m more of a Dr. Pepper kind of girl. I mean come on, twenty three flavors in one drink? Can Coke OR Pepsi say the same about their soft drinks? No, I didn’t think so.

 

(402 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment