Friday, September 14, 2012

Preparing Effie


                Right now, I am sitting on my bed trying to do homework…on a Friday night. This is a very rare occasion- usually my homework is put aside and forgotten about until Sunday afternoon. Sometime yesterday my new laptop arrived in the mail, and it has been distracting me ever since. From my point of view, given the choice of doing homework (the right thing to do) or messing around on my computer (the more fun thing to do) obviously I’m going to choose the latter. I have to say though, my Pre-Calculus homework is already done. So there.

                Instead of finishing my homework this evening, a couple of friends and I went to the craft store and bought a bunch of fabric and supplies to begin making our Halloween costumes. I realize it’s only September, but since we are making our costumes from scratch, we thought it would be best to start now. Time wise I think we made a good decision to start earlier. Our costumes look great so far, even though they are nowhere near finished.

                My computer has been helping us with our project all evening; it has looked up pictures for references, played upbeat songs to get us in the crafty mood, and distracted us when we least needed to be distracted.

                I suppose I should tell you a little about our costumes. I’m assuming you’ve heard of the Hunger Games? If not, I’m assuming you live under a rock…I’m pretty sure everyone knows what the Hunger Games are. Anyway, my friend and I are going as Effie Trinket, a flamboyant and colorful woman who is not afraid to dress as outlandishly as possible. In the Hunger Games movie, the character Effie wears a few wild outfits. From extremely large hair and accessories, to expertly tailored “Lady GaGa looking” outfits, Effie has got it going on. And on Halloween my friend and I will be doing the same.

                Effie’s makeup. Need I say more? Look up her makeup if you are unfamiliar with what I am talking about. Effie’s makeup is the most gaudy, bright, insane creation. Her blush is rich in pigment, as are her multicolored eye shadows which were made to accent her pursed lips. Caution: when using ColorStay 24 hour Eye Shadow, it really does stay on for an extended period of time- it doesn’t come off easily…fair warning.

                Instead of doing homework tonight, I decided to use my laptop to bring a fictional character to life. From the 2D image on the computer to real life, my friends and I have recreated a character only seen in movies and imaginations. Not that you should follow in my footsteps and procrastinate homework to do something a lot more fun and entertaining, but life was more amusing with fictional makeup and whimsical costumes.

(469 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment