Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Yearbook Day


                Yearbooks came out today, which means the only thing you can hear in classrooms is the quick turn of an expensive printed page being turned, followed by a gasp of distress at a not-so-great picture, or maybe a giggle at a fond memory brought back to the surface of their mind.

                I personally love yearbooks. Within their pages are the memories that made up our school years, countless days spent within these four walls, friends met through random chance, and extracurricular activities that made us who we are. Every step ever taken by a human in our high school is mentioned somewhere inside the lovely binding we call a yearbook. Page after page turned is another event worth the time to think about, each picture a remembrance of what went on that year, each description sealing these events in the past, and each name bringing on rounds of memories with the person it belongs to.

                 Every single year since kindergarten I have bought a yearbook (actually my dad bought every single one of the yearbooks for me, but you get the point). Over the summer I cleaned everything in my room, and I found all of my old yearbooks. It was kind of weird, to be honest with you. I mean, I still know some of these people- I had grown up with a lot of these familiar faces. Memories from when I was little came rushing back, and I let them. As I sat there in the mess that was my soon-to-be clean room, I realized how different things are now compared to my early days. In my first grade yearbook, my favorite food was chicken nuggets…pretty typical of your average six year old. Now my favorite food is fried pickles- in ten years my food preferences have totally changed- and I didn’t even realize it until I cracked open my forgotten yearbooks.

                I’ve also decided the people who take the yearbook pictures aren’t very nice. Seriously though, if a kid looks bad in their picture you should just retake it right then and there. But they don’t. ‘Cuz they’re mean. Speaking on behalf of all those who have had a ridiculously ridiculous picture end up in the yearbook, we don’t like the cameramen. Or the camerawomen either. Last year they said to me “smile on three! One-“ Click. Thanks for the two and three, lady. That really makes me feel better about having my picture in the yearbook.

                Yearbook day is always the best. No matter how terrible your picture turns out, you’re not alone. Each yearbook tells its own story of how the year progressed, and the memories that come to you while reading your yearbooks never fail to amaze you. Though things may be in the past now, you will always be able look back in your yearbook and remember who you were back then. But the best part about yearbook day? They’re just another distraction in the classroom for us students.

 

(496 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment