Sunday, September 9, 2012

Someday

                Remember when you were little and everyone would ask you what you wanted to be when you grew up? I do, and I remember some of my ridiculous answers as well. I wanted to be an astronaut; not just any astronaut would do, I wanted to be the astronaut who ruled the universe. I wanted to be a Queen, a teacher, a vampire, an actress, a singer, Po from the Telly-Tubbies, and then there was one more. I wanted to be a doctor.
                For years now, that last one has stuck. To this day, my dream is to become a doctor. According to my parents I’ve always wanted to be a doctor. My dad tells the story of when he could first tell I was going to be a doctor someday. It was the day my brother was born, and my dad and I were walking around the hospital. Dad said I would look at the different machines with a look of wonder, curiosity plain on my face. Every time he tells the story, he mentions that that was the exact moment he knew I would work in a hospital environment. Oh, I forgot to tell you. This moment happened shortly after I turned two years old.
                I’ve always been interested in the medical field; I just had no idea where I wanted to go with it. Did I want to become a surgeon? For a while, I did. Then I looked into cardiology, and I fell in love. I was mesmerized by the different things it could do, how amazing and complex it really was.
                And then life got busy. I was going to school, taking AP classes, working, volunteering- I was constantly on the move. On the weekends if I needed a little extra money, I would babysit. My mom says I’m a kid magnet; everywhere I go, a kid is sure to follow. When I told her that I wanted to be a cardiologist, she paused for a minute. She then proceeded to ask, “Could you do that job for kids instead of adults?” I was confused at first, why would she want me to work with kids? Is there really that big of a difference between treating an adult and treating a child? Mom then said, “You are so good with kids, why don’t you apply that gift towards what you already had in mind?” And you know what? I actually took her advice and am now looking into pediatric cardiology. To do what I really want to do, and to do what I’m good at as well.
(432 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment