Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lava Monster


                Everyone has those weekends, the ones where you sit around in sweatpants, hair in a ponytail, chillin’ with no make-up on. It’s so nice! Today however, I decided I would try to combine the Lazy Saturday with the Productive Saturday, and things didn’t turn out quite as I was hoping.

                For one, I had to get up and go take the PSAT (don’t ask me what it stands for, because I have no idea). As I was about to go to bed last night, I was thinking how great it was that I could finally sleep in in the morning…and then I remembered the test. So I didn’t get to sleep in this morning, as I otherwise would have on a lazy weekend.

                So far combining these two types of weekends hasn’t gone well. Let’s continue shall we? The next item on my list was eating lunch, which on a lazy day means leftovers or whatever Mom makes me. Mom decided today that she didn’t feel like making me lunch, and there weren’t any leftovers in the fridge, so I actually had to make my own food. Bummer.

                After my lunch (which was a delicious ham sandwich on whole wheat bread), I retreated to my room to try and do something productive while still rockin’ my sweatpants. I decided I would try to work on my Halloween costume; if you don’t know what it is, one of my previous posts (Preparing Effie) describes it. Anyway I ended up jamming the sewing machine, scraping my first attempt at a shirt, and cutting my right thumb on a fabric cutter.

                Here’s some interesting news for y’all: if the fabric cutter isn’t cutting through the fabric, there is probably something wrong with the fabric, not the cutter. Whatever you do, don’t slice your thumb on the blade to check if it’s dull or not…It probably is still razor sharp and will end up making your finger bleed. Heed this warning- it’s a good one.

                I finished my day babysitting two eight year olds, who did NOT want to lie down and fall asleep. The only way that worked was tricking them into thinking they were playing a game: their blankets were a safe zone, and everywhere that wasn’t a blanket was lava. If they touched the lava, they were out. If they laughed, giggled, talked, or made any other sound, the Lava Monster (aka me) would eat them. So they had to lie down on the blankets and be quiet; and BOOM. Out like a light.

                Trying to be productive on a lazy day was not one of my better ideas, I’ll admit it. If you take anything away from reading this, just know that fabric cutters are super sharp, lunch is always better when Mom makes it, and Lava Monsters are the coolest thing ever.

 

(473 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment