Sunday, October 28, 2012

Watching Movies, Getting Paid


                As I mentioned in my last Monday blog post, I recently got a job. Yesterday was my first day as an usher at a movie theatre, and I think it went well! For five hours I did one of four things:

1.       I sweep up all the popcorn and crap our moviegoers dropped everywhere. This includes the popcorn in the lobby, the leftover pieces of paper towel off the bathroom floor, and every single thing anyone left on the floor of the theatre itself. I’ll be the first to admit that when I go to the movies, I always leave something behind- a napkin, popcorn kernels, whatever it may be. I will never do that again. I now know what it’s like for the workers to clean up after slobs like me. Pick up your trash people- common courtesy.

2.       I work the ticket…table? I’m not really sure how to describe this but I’ll do my best. There is someone who takes your money and prints off your tickets (which is not me) and then there is the person who rips the nice perforated edges of the tickets for you (that’s what I did). The first time I did the whole ticket-ripping thing was during the rush. Saturday afternoons are always the busiest (I’ve been told- I wouldn’t know, I’ve only worked one day) and the wave of people almost astonishing. But don’t worry guys, I did a good job.

3.       I take out the trash. Sounds lovely doesn’t it? After we (the ushers) go through and clean up the mess all you moviegoers left behind, we have to take out the garbage. I think the boys I work with were more than happy to make me take out the trash… It’s not the highlight of my job. But hey, I’m making money right?

4.       Watching movies. Yupp. I get paid to sit in the theatre and watch movies. After the wave of people come in and settle down in their respected theatres, it’s the ushers’ job to make sure they aren’t using their cellular devices and things like that. We only stay in the theatre for ten to fifteen minutes, but come on I’m basically getting paid to hop from movie to movie.

That’s basically my job! It sounds pretty easy doesn’t it? Well guess what. It is. I also get to see movies for free- whenever I want, there’s no limit to how many movies I get in free to see! Discounted concessions come with this amazing package deal, and I can bring two or three other friends in for free as well! Next time you go the movies, remember to pick up your napkins and popcorn tubs- it makes our jobs a lot easier. If you don’t want to pick up after yourself, try becoming an usher and see how you feel after that- trust me, your whole perspective on movies changes…actually it really doesn’t but I thought that would add a nice touch to the end of this story. If you love movies as much as I do, working in the movie theatre business is right for you.

 

(522 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment