Friday, October 5, 2012

The Essence of Procrastination


                Procrastination. Defined by dictionary.com as “the act or habit of putting off or delaying” something that needs to be done. This is an ironic topic for me to have chosen, as I definitely procrastinated writing this blog post.

                Everyone says junior year of high school is the hardest. I never believed it, as each year had progressively gotten worse, but junior year has by far been my hardest year yet. Procrastinating isn’t an action that works well anymore; in the past you would procrastinate something, and it would take a half hour to an hour to finish. This year however, projects are deep; they take a lot of thought and reasoning to create a finished project worth an excellent grade. The sheer amount of work junior year has to offer is insane, and I for one realize that I need to change my procrastination habits.

                Take Wednesday for instance. While we were in class we were given the choice to start writing a rough draft, or write a blog post. I decided to try and write my rough draft, and after about twenty minutes of staring at the three sentences I had managed to come up with, I decided to call it quits and try to write for my blog. That however did not last long, as I became preoccupied reading others’ blogs. Therefore, given the opportunity to work on or even finish two projects, I did not finish either; and I’m paying for my previous procrastination now, on a Friday night, doing homework.

                The more I think about it, the more frustrated I become. I mean, I wasn’t really doing anything Wednesday evening, I easily could’ve written something during the commercial breaks of Grey’s Anatomy on Thursday, so why did I wait until the last minute? I just didn’t feel like doing it. That’s all. I didn’t feel like writing a whole bunch, I didn’t feel like taking the time to do it, I just didn’t want to; so I didn’t. And I really wish I would have just gotten it over with.

Learn from my mistakes: do not procrastinate until the last minute. Time is of the essence, and waiting until the last minute isn't going to help anything. Trying to make up for lost time is hard enough as it is, and trying to cram an entire week’s worth of thoughts into one night isn’t easy. If you’re like me, and have serious trouble with writers block, try writing a little chunk at a time. It may make it easier for you. Whatever you do, though, procrastination is NOT the answer- no matter how great it sounds at the time.

 

(443 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment