Saturday, December 1, 2012

Just Another December First


                December 1st usually isn’t all that great for me; to be honest, I don’t see the big hype about December 1st. It’s a new month- Hooray? If someone could explain to me the phenomenon that gets everyone excited on December 1st, that would be great. Congratulations, you get to put a new ornament on your advent tree- you go, you creative little human! There is really no point to being excited about December 1st!

                How do normal people spend their December Firsts? Usually I just lay around on my ass all day, doing what stereotypical Americans do best: being couch potatoes. Normal people probably get together with friends and reminisce about previous December 1st’s, wondering what this “glorious” day will bring. I hate to break it to you, but your December 1st isn’t going to be any better than your tomorrow (December 2nd) or your yesterday (November 30th).

                While all you normal people were obsessing over your “lovely” December 1st’s, I was doing a few things. Last night I had a work party that started at around 11:00pm; needless to say I went to bed pretty late last night…technically early this morning. At 5:30am, my back decided it would try out this new pain thing where if I moved, I was in extreme pain, but if I didn’t move I would still be in extreme pain. Obviously you normal people can start to see why I am bitter towards December 1st.

After lying around with ice packs and heating pads on my back all morning, I went over to a friend’s house for Holiday Cookie Day. There’s nothing like hanging out with family that isn’t yours, yet being treated as if you really were a part of the family. Is that why everyone likes December 1st- because you get to be with family and eat cookies that have so many calories they’ll make your thighs blow up like balloons? If so, I understand this now… And if not, well then you are still a strange little human in my book.

And then came work. Yeah, I did work December 1st, but it wasn’t a big deal. Do you know why it wasn’t a big deal? Because it’s just December First! It’s not a holiday! There’s no reason to celebrate! I didn’t get the day off, or even get any benefits today. In fact, today was one of my worst working days EVER! Yay, December 1st! Hallelujah, Praise December 1st! I still don’t understand the hype! Go me!

If you only learn one thing from this blog post, remember that December 1st is not a holiday and does not need to be acknowledged any more than all the other December days. You should also remember that having back pain sucks, and being exhausted because of it makes the whole “December First” situation ten times worse. Oh, and family is important- even if they aren’t really your true family. Even if it’s just plain ol’ December 1st.

 

(495 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment