Thursday, December 6, 2012

"Especially a Woman" ...Really?


                What is beauty? Is it defined by appearance, or is it something more? When you meet a new person, what is the first beautiful thing you try to find in them? Is it their unnatural tan, their frizzy hair, or perhaps their pointy nose?

                Look at the link at the bottom of this page. It is a link to the dictionary.com page which defines beauty. The first definition states: “the quality present in a thing or person that gives intense pleasure or deep satisfaction to the mind.” This definition depicts inner beauty rather than outer beauty- which is the way society should look at beauty. The second definition however reads: “a beautiful person, especially a woman.” I’m sorry, but really? “Especially” women? Who wrote this definition anyway- could it have been a man? Does he realize what he has done?

                For generations, the image of beauty was the stereotypical woman. Tall, blonde, tan, and skinny, this woman had the looks other ladies would kill for. She also had the looks men wanted for their future wife. Women were thought to be the property of men; they cooked for the men, they cleaned for the men, they pleased the men- women were alive to make the lives of men easier and more pleasant.

                It didn’t matter what women in our history did, our actions always revolved around the men, and how they would react. God forbid  dinner was a couple of minutes late; when he walked in the door after work, you took off his shoes and fed him dinner. That’s not necessarily the way things are today. If you are a woman who currently likes taking off your man’s shoes and making sure dinner is perfect every single night, be my guest. I have no right to tell you what you can and cannot do- but in the past that was a man’s job (to control you), and I’m glad I never had to live through that. I’m pretty sure my big mouth would get me in more trouble than my man really wanted to deal with.

                I’m glad I live in a time where men and women are equal. I can’t imagine waking up in the morning automatically thinking about what you can do to make your man happy. I wonder what he’ll want for breakfast; better make sure I tie his shoes tight so they won’t come undone during his busy day; I better get the house cleaned so that he feels like I really do care. I mean, come on. Who does that? I’ll tell you who does: the stereotypical woman.

 


(435 words)

2 comments:

  1. Dang! those are some really good points, and i love how you went of of the dictionary definitions in this post. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete