Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Need a Nap


                I would like to discuss something with all of you out there. I want to bring up a very important subject, one that is very near and dear to me. It is a privilege kindergarteners are given, but take for granted. It is a peaceful experience teenagers yearn for. It is undeniably the most sought after high school class.

                It is Nap Time.

                Where has the time gone? What gives little children the right to sleep through school, but not teenagers? Why do children receive the pleasure of naps, while teenagers are forced to do schoolwork through their prime nap time?

                I am here to say that nap time should be an option for all high school students. According to http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/teens-and-sleep teenagers need, on average, nine hours of sleep each night. Well guess what- majority of us don’t come close to that. I wake up at 5:30 every morning for school, as my first class begins at 7:00 sharp. By the time I get home from school, it is 3:00 in the afternoon, and my brain is fried. More than anything, I want to just lie down and nap. But can I do that? Nope! I always have something after school- whether it is speech rehearsals (in which case I don’t get home until 5:15 at night), babysitting, volunteering, or work. Usually, because of my busy schedule, I don’t begin doing my homework until around 6:30 at night. Keep in mind that if I were to get nine hours of sleep and still get up at 5:30 every morning, I would have to go to sleep at 8:30 each night. Basically, I’m left with two hours to complete homework in all seven of my classes. I will tell you right now, with all the classes I am currently taking, two hours is not even close to enough time to finish all my homework.

                By the time I get to bed, it’s about 10:30 at night, which means I only get seven of my needed nine hours of sleep. And where do you suppose I’m going to make up those extra two hours at? If it were possible for me to take a class designed for napping, I would. Right now, my peers and I are left with five options:

1. Skip class, go home, and sleep.

2. Sleep in class.

3.Go to bed at the appropriate time and not finish all homework.

4. Stay sleep deprived until the next week long break.

5. Install nap time in high school.

Answer honestly, which one of these options sounds like a good idea to you? Currently, I stick to number four every single night. Occasionally number three occurs, but ideally number five is the absolute best choice for teenage students to be successful. If we can’t be one hundred percent without sleep, why wouldn’t you put nap time in high schools?

 

(479 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment