Sunday, December 16, 2012

Listen Up, Radio Stations


                Show of hands, how many of y’all out there listen to Christmas music? I’m going to guess that all of you have your hands raised, as just about every single radio station is playing holiday music this time of year. Actually, to be precise, Christmas music has been playing on the radio since the week before Thanksgiving.

                Thanksgiving was in November, people.

                Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Christmas music, especially when I first get to hear it for the new season. But let’s be honest here, when it starts playing in November, I’m pretty sick of hearing it by mid-December. This month however, I have been so busy with all of life’s activities and obstacles that I haven’t had much time to listen to Christmas music. Though I want to listen to Christmas music, I’m trying to hold out so that I don’t get burned out before holiday break.

                I know all of us out there have our favorite Christmas song, our favorite Christmas singer, and then we have our least favorite Christmas songs and singers. Personally, my favorite is Michael Bublé’s Christmas album. That man has the voice of a Christmas angel.

                There are always those radio stations that play amazing Christmas songs, but then the turn into the most annoying station ever. They start playing the Christmas songs with overdone pep- and they wonder why we start to tune out in mid-December. I won’t list any of the ones I am thinking about in particular, so that I won’t hurt any of your feelings and find myself on the Naughty list the week before Christmas.

                I’m not saying Christmas music is bad, because not all of it is. I’m just saying that there is a time and a place for it, and the week before Thanksgiving is definitely not the time. I’m also saying Michael Bublé’s voice is a Christmas miracle, and if you have not heard him sing before then you have not lived.

 

(330 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment