Friday, December 7, 2012

Princess, You're Under the Influence of Barbie


                Once upon a time, in the magical land of babysitting, there lived a wondrous creature called The T.V. This colorful rectangle projected images of princesses and pop stars at the real life princess (the eight year old I babysit) and her servant (that would be me) who happened to have their perfect little rumps on perfectly enormous couches. The rental video we rented stated it would show us what would happen if Barbie the princess traded places with her identical friend the pop star. “The Princess and the Pop Star” was what our rental video was called, and as the servant, I was to be in control of the remote; you know, changing the volume level, hitting the pause and resume buttons.

                As the servant I not only controlled the remote to the princess’s wishes, but I also popped the popcorn to the perfection she requested. After double checking to make sure the princess had everything she needed, I finally sat down to enjoy the Barbie movie. After a short period of time, however, I became more engulfed in the film than I had ever imagined possible. I would look at Barbie in all her princess glory and compare my clothes to her super sparkly, intensely glitter-ified, overly gauzy dresses- and the weird thing was: I was becoming jealous of her dresses! I longed to wear something so beautiful, perhaps to homecoming. Or maybe I could wear these lovely garments to just lie around in my house- you know, just like Barbie did. Sadly, servants like me aren’t princesses who have large blocks of gold lying around.

                Another quirk I, the servant, conveniently noticed was that Barbie had a nice, expensive touch screen phone that she tweeted on. The producers of this movie made Barbie tweet! For goodness sake, are they trying to brainwash the sweet, innocent princesses I babysit?! The real life princess just sat there as if Barbie whipping out her phone to interact with social media was totally natural and okay! Just as I, the servant, was starting to believe the movie was about to become less brainwashing and more entertaining, Barbie whipped out an iPad and began to play music on it. Oh boy.

                And yet, the real life princess just sat there watching her movie as if nothing were wrong. But of course not! Why would anything be wrong? It’s not like the real life princess has her very own iPhone or anything! It’s not like she was using it as she was “watching” her movie- I mean really? You are eight years old, Princess. You don’t need an iPhone- what are you planning on using it for? Updating your status: “OMG I just had the BEST play date EVER with Jeremy!” Yeah. Sure.

                Here’s for all you princesses out there: what makes you think it’s socially acceptable to use expensive electronic devices- are you influenced by your parents, your friends, the media, or maybe the most surprising yet: Barbie? Think about that next time you’re out in the real world, Princess, because our world is entirely different from yours.

 

(515 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment